New Timekeeping Technology in Vancouver – a Sneak Peek!
At every Olympic Games, OMEGA’s timekeeping and data handling professionals arrive equipped with tons of equipment – a veritable arsenal of the world’s latest and best sports timing technology.
The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games will feature some technological débuts; here’s a sneak preview of some of the highlights:
- A high-definition judges’ scoring system will be used in figure skating
- A high-definition video replay system will be employed in the short track speed skating events
- The Swiss Timing Universal Tracking System, based on global positioning technology, will follow the progress of the competitors in cross-country skiing
- Radio frequency identification (RFID) transponder technology will be used in ski cross and snowboard cross
- The new Chronos device will time the alpine skiing events
At each Olympic Games OMEGA is proud to be at the service of remarkable athletes from around the globe. The company strives to ensure that their sporting performances are evaluated by uncompromisingly cutting-edge equipment and the world’s finest timekeepers. The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games will be no exception and we look forward to providing you with additional details about these exciting new technologies.